Scion is a Crown Research Institute (CRI), which is a government-owned company that carries out scientific research for the benefit of New Zealand. Each of seven CRIs is aligned with a productive sector of the economy or a grouping of natural resources.
We specialise in research, science and technology development for the forestry, wood and wood-derived materials and other biomaterial sectors.
We are the leading CRI in:
- Sustainable forest management and tree improvement.
- Forestry biosecurity, risk management and mitigation.
- Wood processing, wood-related bioenergy, waste streams and other biomaterials.
- Forestry and forestry-based ecosystem services to inform land-use decision making.
Also, we collaborate with other research providers and end-users to develop:
- Land-based biosecurity, soil and freshwater management.
- Climate change adaptation and mitigation.
- Indigenous forestry.
- Industrial biotechnology and high-value manufacturing.